Elevating the Voices of Survivors of Domestic Violence, April McGill
California Consortium for Urban Indian Health - Red Woman Rising Project
The Red Women Rising Project is dedicated to uplifting the voices of Urban Indian survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault through increasing awareness around Urban Indian women’s domestic violence issues and enhancing survivors' access to domestic violence services. The success of the Red Women Rising Project depends on addressing the issue of violence against Native Women with various approaches in order to promote healing at every stage of a survivor's journey and providing the tools and resources that make recovery possible. Take a look at what is being done to make the mission of Red Women Rising a reality.
- Educational Goals:
- Identify the intersection of historical trauma in the native communities and domestic violence
- Explain the importance of providing access to culturally-responsive resources
- Apply a holistic approach towards curbing the issue of domestic violence in Urban Indian communities
Transgender Resilience, Sera Fernando
Silicon Valley Pride and County of Santa Clara Office of LGBTQ Affairs
This presentation will focus on how domestic violence / intimate partner violence deeply affects transgender, nonbinary, and gender expansive communities, specifically, Black, Brown, and Indigenous transgender women, and how to support the liberation of transgender identities. We will discuss the historical violence toward trans identities, identify how systemic implicit bias physically and mentally harms trans bodies, and provide recommendations on reducing and/or eliminating toward the transgender community.
- Educational Goals – By attending this course, participants are expected to
- Identify how the intersections of transgender identity and implicit bias negativity impact a transgender person’s self-determination.
- Distinguish and self-reflect how privilege plays a role in both harming and empowering the transgender community.
- Learn tangible next steps on carrying out the creation of safe and affirming spaces for trans people to thrive.